Leah Durant

Leah Durant serves as a vaccine attorney who specializes in vaccine injury claims covered by the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program. These v

  • Medical Malpractice
  • Products Liability

Angel Murphy

About Angel Murphy is the Founding Partner of The Murphy Law Firm, LLC. As a licensed Maryland attorney and passionate advocate, Angel takes a person

  • Family
  • Criminal

Sharmian White

  • Immigration Law
  • Asylum
  • H1B Visa
  • US Citizenship
  • Trademark
  • Copyright
  • Family

Talk to an

African American / Black Lawyer in District of Columbia

Once you complete the search form below, we submit your legal issue to licensed, pre-screened African American / Black attorneys in District of Columbia matching your search criteria.

Please note that your submission gives permission for the attorneys we match you with to contact you. It does not create an attorney-client relationship. If an attorney agrees to represent you, they will formalize their professional relationship with you directly.

Thank you for confirming your phone number

Can I stop my husband from getting a divorce?

My husband moved out of our house about a year ago and now says he is filing for divorce. We’ve tried to get back together a few times since he left and he’s stayed here at the house with me several times. I read online that we have to be separated for a year before he can get a divorce if I contest it. We’ve had sex as recently as two months ago. I want to contest the divorce because I still think we can work it out. What do I need to do if he serves me with divorce papers and how can I prove that we have not really been truly separated for the one year period?
Published on 03/08/21
Answers: 0

Do I have to respond to an uncontested divorce filing?

My ex dropped off a complaint for uncontested divorce at my apartment. We’ve been separated for 6 months and aren’t fighting over anything. Do I have to do anything with this paperwork or respond to it in some way? I don’t contest the divorce but I don’t want him to get something he shouldn’t get in the divorce because I don’t assert my rights. The other issue I have is some of my personal belongings are still at his house. I’ve asked him to bring them back to me or let me come get them several times but he puts me off. Should I request my stuff back in the divorce process? I don’t want him to get a final divorce and then refuse to give me my things.
Published on 03/08/21
Answers: 0